Image via Wikipedia
If you or someone you know is a smoker, you may have heard by now about electronic cigarettes — small cigarette-shaped devices that create nicotine-filled vapor for you to inhale instead of smoke, simulating the smoking experience.
There are a number of benefits that come with using an electronic cigarette:
- No smoke: Nicotine is carried to your lungs on water vapor.
- No secondhand smoke: The vapor smells very little and doesn’t leave residue on anything.
- No ash: Electronic cigarettes don’t burn, so they don’t drop ask anywhere.
- No fire hazards: Electronic cigarettes only heat when you are inhaling on them.
- No bad breath: Electronic cigarettes don’t stink like regular tobacco cigarettes.
- No coughing: The phlegm buildup that leads to coughing and hacking in serious smokers is caused by the smoke, not the nicotine.
- No extravagent prices: One electronic cigarette cartridge is equal to a pack of cigarettes.
While they are not officially marketed as smoking cessation devices, electronic cigarettes have several beneficial traits that can help someone quit smoking if they so please:
- Selectable nicotine levels: Gradually use cartridges with less and less nicotine to wean yourself off of the addiction to it.
- Safer than smoke: Smoke dries out your lungs — the water vapor in electronic cigarettes might actually moisturize them.
- Easy to switch to: Because electronic cigarettes simulate the look, feel and taste of smoking tobacco cigarettes, you get the same hand to mouth habits that you’ve become accustomed to, and even the feel of inhaling hot vapor.
Try switching from tobacco cigerattes to electronic cigarettes, and you’ll be a big step closer to switching to no cigarettes at all.